At Davenport University, we know what it takes to be successful. With over 150 years of providing quality education under our belts, thousands of Davenport graduates are making an impact on the world with the knowledge and skills they learned here. Our team of faculty and staff collaborate to make this possible. Joining DU means growing and advancing your own career, while making a lasting impact on our students, colleagues and the communities in which we serve. Would you like to be part of our success? It all starts here!
Coach - Head Coach Contract - Men's DIII Hockey
The position will head the organization and administration in all aspects of the program in accordance with the rules and regulations governing the sports program and the institution. These responsibilities are performed in an ethical manner consistent with the University's mission, vision and values which include diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Plan, organize, and continue developing the on-going athletic program and activities of the team.
- Understand and abide by universal standards of confidentiality and ethical decision-making.
- Provide instruction to student athletes regarding relevant skill development, a focus on great teamwork, and their own character development.
- Responsible for providing leadership to the team including budgeting, scheduling, and organizing travel arrangements.
- Hire, train, develop and evaluate the performance of assistant coaches.
- Responsible for the recruitment of academically and athletically qualified student/athletes for the program.
- Responsible to ensure all of the coaching staff and athletes are compliant with national affiliation rules.
- Reports any known violations or concerns to administration.
- Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of and compliance with applicable national affiliations, conference, university and departmental rules and regulations within the sports program.
- Monitor the academic performance, academic progress and social development of student-athletes and make referrals to the appropriate resources.
- Promote the academic progress and graduation of student-athletes, including assisting with enforcement of the mandatory study program.
- Ensure all members of the team abide by the student-athlete handbook.
- Assist with the marketing and promotion of the athletic department.
- Monitor student academic performance and social development and make referrals to appropriate resources.
- Responsible for the organization of university camps and clinics related to the team.
- Responsible for assisting in maintenance and upkeep of the field/complex.
- Assist Athletic Department in athletic issues as needed.
- Abide by the rules and regulations of the league in which you will be competing.
- Provides GREAT customer service, anticipating and exceeding the needs of our customers.
- Demonstrate and promote the University Cultural Values.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
POSITION PAY RANGE: $10,000.00 - 15,000.00, Salary (Please note: Actual pay offered will be commensurate with candidate qualifications and experience, the type of role, pay equity and available funding)
- High School diploma required, Bachelor's degree preferred.
- A strong commitment to the Student-Athlete concept and a working knowledge of national affiliation rules and regulations is required.
- Three to five years collegiate coaching experience including effective leadership, communication, coaching and recruiting skills is preferred.
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision.
- Strong service-oriented skills and the ability to have an exceptional customer service attitude at all times.
- Must be able to work and relate well with the public, students, faculty and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to work accurately and effectively with computerized data systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and promote a positive working environment, spirit of cooperation and positive reactions to change and conflict resolution.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills, both written and oral which transcend diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, parents, faculty, staff, and others while maintaining appropriate confidentiality.
- Demonstrated motivational and problem solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, evenings or Saturday as needed, additional hours during peak times or as required.
WORK LOCATION: Grand Rapids - Lettinga Campus